Tuesday 17 February 2009

Tourists

Day 29: Beijing (CN). “I'm all 'templed' out”, Karen said exhaustedly. “Likewise”, I replied, “...and I think I'm gonna need another memory card for my camera!”

It was starting to get dark and a few flakes of snow were starting to fall marking the end to a cold, grey day in Beijing. Our legs were aching from the days sightseeing exertions but as we walked wearily towards Tiatandongmen subway station, we still had the energy to muster up a few more superlatives as we remembered the amazing sights that we had visited in China's capital city. Sub zero temperatures had kept us on the move for most of the day – but that was OK, as it enabled us to cover some of Beijing's most famous attraction; Tiananmen Square, the Forbidden City and the Temple of Heaven; all of which, given kinder weather, could have consumed a day in their own rights. My perceptions of these sights prior to my arrival in Beijing was so much smaller that reality, China's premier square is of gargantuan proportions (the worlds largest) and words and pictures can not convey the enormity (or indeed the beauty and magnificence) of the Forbidden City, occupying three quarters of a million meters of space in central Beijing, the perimeter walls measuring three and a half kilometres long and enclosing some 9,000 rooms.

Despite Beijing's sprawl, moving around the city proved to be amazingly easy thanks in the main to Beijing's excellent public transportation system. Remembering for a moment, the difficulties Karen and I had had with the Moscow Metro just a few weeks prior, also made me realise how our own travelling skills were improving as our experiences grew. Indeed, I smiled to myself as I watched Karen purchase tickets from the automated ticketing machine without even bothering to change the language to 'English'!'

In way of sustenance at the end of the day, we stopped by Donghuamen Night Market, serving some of the best street food in town. And all so conveniently packaged too: Star fish and sea urchins - sold individually. Seahorses, centipedes, lizards and chicken hearts - by the bag. Grasshoppers, scorpions, snakes and genitalia - on sticks. Like I said a couple of days ago, “Fancy a McDonalds, anyone?”!

No comments: